City officials and Cleveland Asian Festival organizers may have to look at making changes after larger than expected crowds raised safety concerns at this year’s festival, spurring them to shut it down early on Sunday.
“The attendance peaked late Sunday afternoon to unprecedented levels, leading city officials to determine that the venue had reached a critical safety limit,” Cleveland Asian Festival organizers said in a prepared statement. “Citing concerns over isolated heat-related medical incidents and restricted EMS access due to area road construction, traffic, and large crowds, the Cleveland Asian Festival was directed to close the festival early. The Cleveland Asian Festival immediately complied and worked alongside local authorities to conduct an orderly shutdown.”
Cleveland police spokesman Sgt. Wilfredo Diaz said the private security company working the festival had contacted police with concerns about how big the crowd had gotten.
“They wanted to play it safe,” Diaz said.
The festival was shut down between 3-4 p.m. It had been scheduled to run until 7 p.m.
A warm weekend day with the first summer-like temperatures of the year may have created the perfect storm for the overcrowding to occur, Diaz said.
“You had the (Cleveland) marathon, and the main thing is the first really beautiful weather of the year that brought the crowds out,” Diaz said. “I think people had cabin fever and wanted to get out.”
Diaz said he was at the festival about 1 p.m. Sunday and there were no issues with anyone in the crowd causing trouble.
“It was more about the congestion,” Diaz said.
There were also media reports that an ambulance could not gain access to the area.
With warmer temperatures coming, Diaz said it is important for all city festivals to have quick access for medical vehicles if there are people with heat-related emergencies.
Diaz added that city officials and festival organizers usually meet for a debriefing session after the festival and discuss what changes need to be made.
Among the changes that may be considered is expanding the festival area to lessen congestion and provide better access for emergency medical vehicles.
Johnny Wu, one of the festival organizers, said prior to this year’s festival that it had maxed out in its current location, and it may need to expand the current footprint for future festivals.
“The Cleveland Asian Festival remains committed to working with community partners and public officials to ensure this important tradition continues to grow in a safe and welcoming way for all,” festival organizers said in a statement.
The festival was not the only place that had to restrict access this weekend. The Cleveland Metroparks also closed the East 55th Street Marina and East 72nd Fishing Area Sunday for a few hours due to overcrowding.
The Metroparks police constantly monitor the parking lots in the various reservations and will not allow new traffic in once lots are full.
”As always during the peak summer months along the lakefront, access will close to vehicles as parking capacity is reached and reopen as capacity allows,” said Jacqueline Lapine Gerling, Cleveland Metroparks director of communication. “Guests are encouraged to plan ahead, arrive early and use alternative ways to access the parks, including our robust trail network.”
Lapine Gerling added that it is usually the Metroparks lakefront locations where the overcrowding occurs.
Keep our local journalism accessible to all
Reader support is crucial as we continue to shed light on underreported neighborhoods in Cleveland. Will you become a monthly member to help us continue to produce news by, for, and with the community?
P.S. Did you like this story? Take our reader survey!




